Sunday, September 9, 2012
Malory: Launcelot and Elaine
I found that while reading through this particular section that everyone seems to have a slight fainting issue. It began to get somewhat ridiculous when after any small event a character was to "fall faint" for hardly any reason at all. For example on page 342 Sir Launcelot falls to the ground faint when Queen Gwynevere rebukes him for sleeping once more with Lady Elaine. It makes me wonder if the fainting is some sort of message or motif. Perhaps however it is just an overused dramatic gesture employed to show the significance of the event or hardship that the character seems to be experiencing. Also during this section Queen Gwynevere behavior seems to shift dramatically from subtly caring for sir lancelot in a revered queen-like manor to outright despair and jealousy when she finds he has lain with someone else. It seemed strange to me that Malory would take Queen Gwynevere from being a mostly decent character to becoming this outwardly defiant wannabe lover of this knight. Queen Gwynevere during these sections has hardly been lustful of Sir Launcelot so to see this behavior i felt that it was a bit shocking and out of place for the reader. For most of us however we had the preconceived notion about the queen from previous readings outside of class, which made her declaration of love for Sir Launcelot less abnormal. I feel as though first time readers without having any previous knowledge of any Arthurian tales may have been a bit blindsided by the Gwynevere-Launcelot connection in Le Morte d'Arthur.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your point about Gwynevere's weird lust for Launcelot. It seems like she is totally similar to a modern-day version of "obsessive girlfriend." In many instances the reader knows that Launcelot is trying to be a good guy, but Queen G still takes his actions the wrong way and ends up treating him pretty badly at times.
ReplyDeleteI also noticed the fainting bit and I was wondering the same thing and I lean more towards itis just over used and I also agree with the fact that her caring turns into a weird obsession.
ReplyDelete